Tuesday 5 July 2016

Camp NaNo, Alpacas and Canada Post

Here it is, already July 5th! It seemed like only yesterday the year had just begun.

I haven't done any real camping this month yet, but I have been placed in a cabin with others from around the world in Camp NaNoWriMo. So far I have written just over one thousand words. My cabin-mates are also at different stages of their projects; some have several thousand words written, while others have not updated their counts as of yet.

My alpacas are enjoying their green grass, and I am enjoying the fact they are cleaning up an area that has been overgrown for several years. Each day I move the panels to give them a new area to graze, and by month end I should be able to have them back in their original pens. That is, if I decide to keep them there. I do like the area they are grazing in better, as it is more sheltered and shaded. The rows of trees and shrubs make for a natural windbreak, which is ideal during the winter. And, I must start thinking about winter soon, as it will be here before we know it. The summers are always too short.

As many of you have heard, Canada Post is trying to come up with a solution to an ongoing wage battle. It is frustrating that they cannot resolve the issue, but on the same note there is no reason to lash out and be downright rude. I read a handful of comments on a photo of a Canada Post Outlet this morning, and not one of them was anywhere being close to courteous.

What many people fail to realize is it is not necessarily the workers themselves demanding more, but rather the people further up the food chain, so to speak. Sadly, the employees in the outlets get the most abuse as they are the ones in the public eye. I rely on Canada Post to get my packages to my customers, as do most small businesses. It is not limited to just businesses either; there are people who still depend on mail delivery for cheques, bills, bank statements and letters from family and friends. Not everyone has switched over to going completely paperless, and in all honesty I don't think that will ever happen.

Now, why don't we cut the average worker some slack and not be jerks about it all. These are people who have mouths to feed and bills to pay just like anyone else. I do agree that some changes could be made in respect to high-volume times, but for the most part it is a service we depend on. I wish people would think about the weather conditions and verbal abuse postal workers all over the world have to deal with before voicing such negativity.

On a more positive note, let's all enjoy the summer and be kind to one another. Life is meant to be enjoyed; not to go through being bitter and resenting everything and everyone that doesn't share your opinion. And speaking of opinions, now that I have voiced mine it is time to get on with my day and do something that will improve my life; not destroy someone else's.

Have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment