Tuesday 14 June 2016

Welcome to Not Just Alpaca!

First of all, I'd like to say welcome to my blog!

It has taken me years (literally) to come up with a name that represents who I am and what I do. Instead of having several blogs (which are hard to keep up with), I am now going to concentrate on only this one. For those of you who know me, you will understand completely. For those of you just joining me, you'll understand in due time.

Now, a little about me. I am a writer, indie author, fiber artist, gardener, alpaca owner, library assistant, significant other and my favourite part: a mom. Although my children are now young adults, I am still very much a part of their lives. They both live within an hour's driving distance, which is nice for me and them.

I have been writing both online and offline since January 2010, when I decided to bite the bullet and put some of my work out there. When I submitted a couple of articles to HubPages and the content was well-received, I started pushing myself a little harder. I have since self-published two novels and several nonfiction titles on writing, self-publishing, freelancing and crafts. Most of my titles can be found on Amazon, Kobo, Sellfy, Lulu and some are even available in my Etsy shop.

I do not claim to be perfect, as I have made mistakes along the way. I have, however, learned a thing or two from each mistake I have made. It helps give me a better understanding of the process of writing, self-publishing and freelancing.

As for my fiber arts, I have been hooked on crochet for most of my life. I am also a self-taught spinner, felter and needle-felter. My alpacas are a great source of fiber and inspiration for me. They have made their way into my novels and their antics are now shared regularly on my Instagram account.

To some my blog will seem a little wishy-washy, as I will post about a variety of topics. That is who I am though, and often one interest merges with another. My fiber arts have led to the creation of patterns, which incorporates the writing skills I have. I have learned to just be me, and to not try to please everyone. When one tries to please everyone, there can be no happiness. I like to be happy, and figuring that out was the hardest part. Now I concentrate more on what makes me happy, and it seems to be working.

"Do what you love, and the rest will follow." That is some advice I have taken to heart, and it is helping me enjoy life. I haven't hit the best-seller list yet, nor have I earned six figures from what I do, but perhaps one day I will. Until then, I am just going to enjoy the ride. If it never comes, then so be it, but at least I will be able to say I lived my life doing what I love.

Stay tuned for the next post, and feel free to ask questions about alpacas, self-publishing, freelancing and fiber arts. You never know when your question may become the title for a blog post. I look forward to sharing my knowledge and experiences with you, as well as learning more about who my readers are.

Until the next post, have a great day!

Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment